as posted on SABC.co.za
Thursday 22 November 2012 14:07
Independent schools in KwaZulu-Natal have begged the Constitutional Court to finally resolve their challenges regarding the reduction of subsidies.
In 2009, KwaZulu-Natal education authorities reduced their subsidy in the middle of the school year. This severely affected the schools, which had factored in amounts previously promised by the department.
They are now asking the Constitutional Court to declare that the promised subsidy was a binding contract. The court has suggested the case go back to square one and for them to argue on another basis.
But the independent schools’ lawyer, Omar Moosa, says they cannot afford to start again from scratch.
“Chief Justice, they do not have the resources to go on. They have tried for two years and I do not want to be dramatic but it does not have the capacity to go on. We really need an answer,” says Moosa.
He says that the matter has been brought forward to the highest court in the land as we live in a constitutional democracy.
“We hope that we will prevail,” he added.